Monday, May 28, 2012

Tiny Fly Orchids, Cranham Common, Cotswolds 27/05/2012


I don't know how my friend managed to notice these tiny plants amongst the grass peppered with dying cowslips at the centre of Cranham Common. I just couldn't find them a couple of days ago so needed him to take me to the exact spot. They are only about 6 or 7 cm high and the flowers about 1 cm long. 
Even when standing a couple of feet away they are hard to see , they just don't stand out like the pink or purple coloured Orchids do . This is the first time I've seen Fly Orchids in the wild and they are amazing looking things. I'm hoping there are more of them to find but although we searched for a while we couldn't see any more than these two very small specimens .






Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home